SPECIAL NEEDS UNIT
The Special Needs Units (SNUs) are mandated by PA DHS since the inception of HealthChoices. Medical Assistance MCOs contracted with the Department of Human Services are required to provide SNUs. Their primary purpose is coordinating and accessing care for children with special physical and behavioral healthcare needs. This would include children who have or are at increased risk for a chronic physical, developmental, behavioral or emotional condition and who also require health and related services of a type or amount beyond that required by children generally.
SNUs can assist members directly and provide ongoing case management. They assist with accessing services, referrals, scheduling appointments, and helping with complaints and grievances. They communicate with the MCO and ensure members receive services most appropriate to their needs. They also support youth as they transition out of EPSDT and into adult care.
SUICIDE PREVENTION ONLINE LEARNING CENTER
Prevent Suicide PA and the Pennsylvania Garrett Lee Smith Youth Suicide Prevention Grant are pleased to announce that
the Suicide Prevention Online Learning Center is now live!
This site is designed to provide current and evidence-based information to anyone who may come into contact with individuals struggling with suicidal thoughts and behaviors, including educators, mental health professionals, medical professionals, and the general community.
The Online Learning Center can be accessed by visiting https://preventsuicidepalearning.com/.
Select featured courses include the following:
- · Suicide Prevention for Educators (an 8-class course that can fulfill Act 71 requirements for schools)
- · Clinical Approaches to Suicide Prevention for School-based Counselors
- · Method Restriction: Primary Care and Public Health Approaches
When visiting the site for the first time, users must click the “login” tab to register, creating a username and password.
Then, click the “All Courses” tab to view all site content.
Any trainings that users complete will be documented on a transcript that may be downloaded and some courses will offer printable certificates.
- Prevent Suicide PA Website: https://www.preventsuicidepa.org/
- 6th Annual PSA Contest for high school students: http://psa.preventsuicidepa.org/2018psa/
- Suicide Prevention Online Learning Center: https://preventsuicidepalearning.com/
- Jana Marie Foundation: https://www.janamariefoundation.org/
- Mind Matters Resilience Course Flyer – click here for flyer